***For the Month of June, the Transfer Station is Available for Bulky Waste Drop Off by Appointment Only. No Appointment Necessary for Brush and Leaf drop off**
CLICK HERE (updated June 23, 2020)
Effective July 1, 2020
Mondays: 10:00AM – 2:00PM
Wednesdays: 7:00AM – 12:00PM
1st and 3rd Saturdays: 7:00AM – 12:00PM
* The Transfer Station will be closed during inclement weather and other emergency conditions.
- Air Conditioners
- Batteries - No charge - Lead, acid, dry cell, Lithium Ion, nickel metal hydride (Ni-Mh). Silver Oxide batteries should be disposed of as household hazardous waste.
- Brush - no longer than 4 feet and no diameter greater than 6 inches
- Bulky Waste - furniture, mattresses, box spring, bureaus, tables, chairs, sofas, and carpeting
- Corrugated cardboard is now accepted. Boxes must be flattened with no contamination (no plastic or tape on the boxes). No wax boxes or pizza boxes.
- Lawn mowers, grass trimmers, snow blowers - MUST REMOVE ALL FLUIDS
- Leaves - must be in paper bags. Leaves in plastic bags must be emptied and the plastic bag must be carried out.
- Mattresses - only in good condition. Please visit our webpage for acceptable and unacceptable items.
- Tires (without rims)
- White Metal - appliances, bicycles
ELECTRONIC WASTE - NO CHARGE
- Answering machines
- Cell phones
- Computer cables and wires
- Computer keyboards
- Computer mice
- Computer monitors (CRT and flat screen)
- CPUs, notebook computers, laptop computers, towers, servers
- Disk drives
- DVD players
- Fax machines
- Fluorescent bulbs - (straight, u-shaped, round CFL bulbs)
- Handheld computer devices
- HID lamps
- MP3 players
- Printed circuit boards
- Satellite descramblers/receivers
- Tape recorders
- Telephone systems
- Televisions (CRT and flat screen)
- VCR players
- Video cameras
- Video game systems
- Blow dryers
- Coffee makers
- Small household electrical items
Paint can be disposed of a select drop off locations in Connecticut through the "Paint Care" program. Information on this program can be found here: www.paintcare.org
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED
- Auto and Truck parts
- Automotive Batteries (Lead-Acid Batteries) consumers are required to return their lead-acid auto batteries, motorcycles, etc. for recycling, and requires retailers of these batteries to accept a used battery for each battery they sell.
- Construction debris, roofing materials
- Excavation materials (asphalt, rocks, fill)
- Explosives, ammunition
- Grass clippings (helpful tip)
- Hazardous waste - asbestos, biomedical waste, oil based paints, toxics, fertilizers, PCB's
- Recycling (glass, plastic, cardboard, newspaper, etc)
- Tree stumps, bush stumps, roots, root balls
- Waste oil, gas, antifreeze
- Wood (pressure and non pressure treated)
Transfer Station fees are per vehicle, per use, non-commercial vehicles only, payable at the Transfer Station. We accept cash and checks. Checks must have your current phone number printed on them (no starter checks). Leaves, brush, mattresses and electronic waste accepted from any non-commercial vehicle for no charge. Proof of residency is required.
Minivan / SUV/ Crossover
Pickup Truck / Full Size Van / Single-Axle Trailer:
Pickup Truck / Van with trailer (both with debris):
Rates apply only to vehicles with Bulky Waste and Metals. Vehicles with ONLY brush, leaves, electric waste, light bulbs and batteries, and CLEAN mattresses are free.
Any hauler, landscaper or contractor that brings bulky waste or yard waste from a property other than their own for a fee must have valid Commercial User’s Permit to use Transfer Station. Please contact Public Works at 203-630-4019 for more details. All contractors must be registered by August 1, 2020 to be eligible to use the Meriden Transfer Station. Only passenger or combination-plated vehicles registered in the City of Meriden may be permitted.
The following "ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED" may be disposed of, among other places, at the following locations. Please contact them directly for more information including associated fees:
136 Gracey Ave
Private Transfer Stations (contact directly for items they accept):
CCRR - HQ Dumpsters
65 Triano Dr, Southington, CT 06489
Click here for Brochure
231 Maple Ave
Cheshire, CT 06410
201 Church St
Yalesville, CT 06492