Probate Court

Judge Ariana F. Ceneviva
142 East Main St., Meriden, CT 06450

The Meriden office of the Connecticut State Probate Court system is located at Meriden City Hall.  Connecticut is divided into 132 probate districts, each of which is presided over by a Judge of Probate who is elected to office for a four-year term.  Probate Courts have jurisdiction over many matters:

  • Probating wills and the administration of estates
  • Overseeing testamentary and living trusts
  • Determining title to real and personal property
  • Construing the meaning of wills and trusts
  • Appointing guardians for the mentally retarded
  • Appointing conservators of the person and the estate of incapable individuals
  • Committing those suffering from mental illness to an appropriate facility
  • Removing unfit parents as guardians of their children
  • Terminating the parental rights of parents who cannot fulfill their parental responsibilities
  • Granting adoptions
  • Granting name changes

Sometimes the issues presented to the Probate Courts are complex and difficult. Therefore, it is important that you seek competent professional advice so that your legal rights are fully protected.  Although this pamphlet is not a substitute for such assistance, it has been designed to give you an overview of probate court operations, with specific emphasis on the procedures that are to be followed in probating a will or administering an estate.  The probate judge and staff will be happy to answer your procedural questions, but they are not allowed to give you specific legal advice.

A list of Frequently Asked Questions and other information about the Probate Court can be found on the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch website.

Some of the information provided in the Probate Court section of the City of Meriden website is taken from the Probate Court Administrators brochure , a copy of which can be obtained through the Probate Court located in City Hall.  © 1997, Probate Court Administrator Rev. 7/97