NOTICE: STATE BUILDING CODE CHANGES : Be advised a new State of CT Building Code is effect as of October 1, 2022. A listing of the codes in effect can be found by visiting the State of CT DAS website at this link. A link to the applicable changed code sections specific to the State of CT can be found by clicking this link.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Building department permitting software is changing. Until the new software is up and running, permit forms can be downloaded (see link below), completed manually, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the office at 142 East Main St, Meriden, CT 06450 (Attn: Building Dept).
The City of Meriden Building Department has many functions which include the receipt and review of applications for permits such as building, electrical, plumbing, heating, HVAC, sprinkler and mechanical systems; review of related plans; issuance of permits; and conduct of related field inspections. The inspections ensure that the work being performed is in compliance with the current building codes and city regulations.
The Building Department provides the issuance of the following permits:
- Building Permits - issued for the construction of new homes, new office buildings, additions, alterations, renovations, sheds, decks, pools, roofing, siding, garages, fences, satellite dishes, etc.
- Electrical Permits - issued for the installation of wiring systems in new buildings, new additions, electric heat, service changes/upgrades, etc.
- Plumbing Permits - issued for the installation of plumbing systems in new buildings; new additions, remodeling of bathrooms, new water heaters, etc.
- Mechanical Permits - issued for the installation of heating systems in new buildings or the replacement of old systems, installation of air conditioning systems, ventilation systems, oil tank installations/removals, woodstoves, sprinkler systems, refrigeration, etc.
- Certificates of Occupancy - issued upon completion of new construction and major renovations.