The Highway Division is responsible for maintaining the City’s infrastructure which includes approximately 188 miles of roads and approximately 739 streets. The division employs 17 full-time people. The Department of Public Utilities is responsible for the maintenance of the City's water and sewer facilities.
- Christmas Trees - The Highway Division begins the collection of holiday trees on the first Monday following Three Kings Day and continues through the month of January. Collection is divided between the east side (2 weeks) and west side (2 weeks) of the City. All decorations and plastic covers must be removed. Trees in plastic bags will NOT be collected.
- Curbing Repair and Replacement - This is done to ensure street water will find its way into the City's drainage system. The Highway Division determines which curbs need repair and which streets require new curbs.
- Grass clippings - Grass clippings are not picked up by the City and they are not accepted at the Transfer Station. Grass clippings should be left on your lawn. (helpful tip)
- Floods and Storms - The Highway Division is responsible for coordinating the City’s response for winter and seasonal storms.
- Leaf Collection - The Highway Division collects leaves free-of-charge for City residents usually starting the second week of November and lasting until mid-December. Additionally, the City does not collect leaves in the spring. Residents do not have to make any appointments, they only have to place their leaves at curbside. Please note that only leaves in biodegradable bags will be collected and the use of duct tape is not permitted. Leaves in plastic bags will not be collected. Woody brush is NOT collected, this may be delivered to the Transfer Station.
- Paving - Performs in-house paving, usually from May through November.
- Pothole Repair - Residents may report potholes by calling the Department of Public Works (203-630-4018) or may use the online citizens services request form.
- Snow Removal- The Highway Division removes snow from all publicly accepted City Streets. For questions on snow removal, please visit the Snow FAQ page here. Please note the City does not provide sand to our residents.
- Street Maintenance - The Highway Division regularly removes trash that accumulates on City streets.
- Street Sweeping - The Highway Division performs regular cleaning of the City’s streets and performs City-wide street sweeping generally during the month of March to remove winter debris.