Storm Water

Who maintains the watercourse on my property?

The City of Meriden does not maintain watercourses on private property. It is the responsibility of the property owner to maintain the channel in functional condition. Periodic cleaning and maintenance of the channel will promote proper drainage and lessen flooding to your property and adjacent properties during heavy rainfall. Please ensure the watercourse remains clear of grass clippings, leaves, branches, or other debris. By doing this, you can keep the watercourse functioning as intended. Any activities that involve removal of live vegetation, disruption of the soil, or alteration of the watercourse may need the approval of the Inland Wetlands and Watercourse Commission prior to the work starting. Please contact the City's Inland Wetlands Officer at 203-630-4081.

What can be done if my neighbor dumps debris in the stream behind the house, discharges directly onto my property, or places debris in a catch basin (storm drain)?

City codes relating to floodplain management are in Chapter 110, Floodplain Management of the City Code. Any person who shall violate any provision of this chapter, may, in addition to other remedies, be fined $50 to $90 for each offense. Each day's failure to comply with any such provision shall constitute a separate violation.