Code Enforcement - Housing Division

What is a Certificate of Compliance?

A Certificate of Compliance is an approval from the Housing Division to rent a housing unit. It states that, at the time the unit was inspected or reinspected, the unit was in compliance with the regulations in the Housing Code. This means that there was nothing in that unit that would affect the health or safety of the occupant(s).

For how long is a Certificate of Compliance valid?

The Certificate of Compliance expires two (2) years from the date of issuance.

Do single family homes being rented require a Certificate?

Yes. The Housing Code states that any dwelling or dwelling unit more than 10 years old requires a Certificate of Compliance if it is rented.

What is a Rooming House License?

A Rooming House license is issued for buildings that have rental units sharing common kitchen and bath facilities. Rooming House licenses are also issued for hotels/motels. A Housing Code Inspector and an inspector from the fire marshal’s office conduct an inspection of the building. A license is valid for two (2) years from the date of issuance. The fee for a license is $75. Application forms are available in the office.

Is there a fee?

Yes. The cost of a Certificate is $25 per apartment.

What if my landlord won’t fix items in my apartment?

If you have a problem in your apartment that you have asked your landlord to fix but has not, you can file a written complaint regarding the matter with the Housing Division (forms available in the office). An appointment would be made for the Housing Inspector to meet you at your apartment to investigate your complaint. If housing violations are found during the inspection, a notice will be sent to the landlord.