Environmental Health

 Our Environmental Health staff conducts routine and complaint-based inspections of local food establishments as required by the Connecticut Public Health Code and Local Code. This also includes temporary events, vendors, and caterers.These inspections ensure that appropriate measures are being taken to prevent food borne illness, such as keeping hot and cold food temperatures. Staff also inspects/respond to:

  • Nuisance Properties - Conditions constituting a public health nuisance such as accumulation of garbage, trash, bulky waste, stagnant water, vermin, or nuisance odors, which may be in violation of State and City Codes, are investigated by staff. When necessary, orders and citations to abate nuisances are issued to gain compliance.
  • Septic Systems/Private Wells - We conduct site evaluations and approve plans for the construction of individual septic systems or drinking water wells for properties which are not served by public water or sewers.
  • Swimming Pools - Inspections of a “Public Swimming Pool,” as defined by the Public Health Code (not backyard pools), are made on a regular basis.
  • Lead Paint Poisoning - Properties may be inspected for lead paint if there is a child under the age of six living in the home and the child has been found to have an elevated blood lead level. During the inspection, parents are taught about the health hazards of lead paint and property owners are ordered to abate the hazards which are found.
  • Day Care Inspections - Site inspections of day care facilities are done in partnership with the State Health Department Day Care Licensing Division.
  • Barbershop, Hairdressing and Cosmetology Shop Inspections - Annual inspections of barbershops, hairdressing and cosmetology shops (including nail salons) are done to to check for cleanliness, ensure appropriate methods for sanitization of equipment are being followed and current service provider licenses are issued.

Looking for info on Connecticut's adoption of the FDA Food Code? Please CLICK HERE!