Qunnipiac River Gorge Trail
Designed by Fay, Spofford & Thorndike
Construction by Schultz Corp. Terryville CT
Construction of the 1.3-mile linear trail alongside the Quinnipiac River in the City of Meriden was completed in 2006 and celebrated with a Grand Opening on November 3, 2007. This paved trail has as its Grand Entrance, two brownstone columns located in Lion’s Club Park at the handicapped parking area on Oregon Road at Red Bridge. General parking is available and is accessible by sidewalk from the Dossin Beach parking area alongside Hanover Pond on Oregon Road. Additional parking may be found at the gravel parking lot on Finch Avenue at the Cheshire town line. The trail sits on the railroad bed of the Meriden, Waterbury & Connecticut River Railroad (circa 1890’s) and provides several scenic viewing areas along the Quinnipiac River below, with informational kiosks (details of which may be found on this website) installed at some of these areas.