July 14, 2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
COVID-19 Vaccination - Plan Now for Back to School
Now is the time to start planning COVID-19 vaccination for back to school and college. The Meriden Department of Health and Human Services is encouraging everyone age 12 and older to get the COVID-19 vaccine, especially before returning to school in the fall.
A person is not fully vaccinated until 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Many college and university campuses are requiring that students are fully vaccinated before resuming in-person classes and campus activities.
Therefore, in partnership with the Community Health Center, Inc. of Meriden, multiple pop-up COVID-19 vaccination clinics will be held at Meriden Public Schools summer lunch sites and community events throughout the summer. As a thank you for getting the COVID-19 vaccination at one of the July clinics, the Meriden Department of Health and Human Services will be offering a chance for college students to win one of 3 prizes - a dorm size refrigerator, a microwave, or a dorm essentials basket filled with items a student will need to settle into dorm life.
As an incentive for students age 12 and over, backpacks filled with schools supplies will be given away at pop-up clinics being held on Thursday, August 5 from 11:00am – 2:00pm at Lincoln Middle School and Saturday, August 7 from 4:00pm – 8:00pm at the Meriden Green Pop-Up Market. 100 backpacks will be given away each day.
The Community Health Center will be holding COVID-19 pop-up clinics on the following dates. Staff from the Meriden Health and Human Services Department will also be in attendance with vaccine information and give-aways. The Pfizer and Johnson and Johnson vaccines will be offered. Walk-ups welcome; second doses will be scheduled at the time of first dose.
- July 20 and 27 - Hubbard Park (playscape area) from 10:00am – 3:00pm
- July 26 - Maloney High School from 11:00am – 2:00pm
- July 28 - Israel Putnam Elementary School from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- July 22 and 29 - Lincoln Middle School from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- July 16 - John Barry Elementary School from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- July 24 - Meriden Green from 4:00pm to 8:00pm
- August 3 - National Night Out event at the Meriden Police Department from 6:00pm – 8:00pm
- August 5 and 19 - Lincoln Middle School from 11:00am to 2:00pm (August 5 will be Back to School COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic – backpack giveaway)
- August 7 - Meriden Green from 4:00pm – 8:00pm (Back to School COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic – backpack giveaway)
- August 9 and 15 - Maloney High School from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- August 11 and 18 - Israel Putnam Elementary School from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- August 13 and 20 - John Barry Elementary School from 11:00am to 2:00pm
- August 28 - Meriden Green from 8:00am to 12:00pm as part of the Meriden Farmer’s Market
- August 28 - Hubbard Park from 3:00pm to 7:00pm as part of Overdose Awareness Day
Persons are welcome to call the Meriden Department of Health and Human Services at 203-630-4221 with any questions.
Contact: Lea Crown, Director of Health and Human Services, (203) 630-4221, email@example.com