Vaping and Lung Injuries
We will be updating this page on a regular basis. Information will also be posted on our Facebook page.
If you would like us to come to your organization/business/PTO/PTA meeting and provide a presentation on vaping, please contact our Public Health Educator at 203-630-4288. If you are look for help with quitting use of tobacco and/or vaping products, please click here.
Staff has also created a vaping toolkit for parents and educators - click here to access the kit.
General Information and News
- Vaping among youth was declared an epidemic by the Surgeon General in December 2018.
- Effective October 1, 2019 you must be 21 years of age to purchase tobacco products - including vaping products - in Connecticut, joining many other states that have adopted Tobacco 21 policy. Regular compliance checks are being conducted.
- In September 2019, the CT Department of Public Health (CT DPH) added "unexplained vaping-related lung injuries" to the list of required reportable diseases in Connecticut. Our office will get any reports of illness seen in Meriden.
- On December 20, 2019, legislation was signed to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to raise the federal minimum age to purchase tobacco products from 18 to 21.
- On January 2, 2020 the FDA announced that it finalized an enforcement policy on unauthorized flavored cartridge-based e-cigarettes that appeal to children.
- Vitamin E Acetate and Vaping
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Smoking and Tobacco Use webpage is an excellent resource, and has up-to-date data on vaping-related lung illness.
Information for Youth
- Incorruptible - Big tobacco will never own me!
- Vaping: What You Need to Know (Kids Health website)
- Nicotine use can harm your brain
Information for Parents/Adults/Educators
- The Vape Talk - American Lung Association
- PBS Newshour story on vaping (about 9 minutes long)
- E-cigarette use among youth and young adults (CT Clearinghouse fact sheet)
- Parent Tip Sheet (CDC - Know the Risks)
- Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids website
- The TRUTH Campaign website - why vaping is an important issue.
- You(th) and Tobacco (CDC website)
For Tobacco Retailers
- CT Cigarette Retailer Training Video - Tobacco and Electronic Cigarette Sales: Do the Right Thing
- FDA Compliance Training Video - Tips for Retailers: Preventing Sales to Minors
- "This is Our Watch" - FDA program for tobacco retailers to help them understand tobacco regulations
Vaping-Related Lung Injuries
Here are links to the press releases sent out by the CT DPH regarding unexplained vaping-related lung injuries in Connecticut:
- August 21, 2019 - CT DPH Investigating Second Case of Severe Respiratory Illness Possibly Related to Vaping
- September 5, 2019 - CT DPH Reports 3 Additional Cases of Severe Lung Disease
- October 3, 2019 - CT DPH Reports First Death Associated with Lung Injury Related to Vaping
- October 18, 2019 - Number of Vaping Related Lung Injury Cases Under Investigation in CT Climbs to 34
- November 1, 2019 - Total of 38 Vaping-Related Lung Injury Cases Now Reported in CT
- December 12, 2019 - Total of 46 Vaping-Related Lung Injury Cases Now Reported in CT