School Health Services (School Nursing)
Contact: Sue Cammarata, Public Health Nurse Administrator
School Health provides comprehensive services to students enrolled in Meriden’s public and non-public schools. Services are provided by Registered Nurses licensed by the State of Connecticut.
School Nursing, a specialized practice of professional nursing, protects and promotes student health, facilitates optimal development, and advances academic success. School nurses, grounded in ethical and evidence-based practice, are the leaders who bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to design systems that allow individuals and communities to develop their full potential. (Definition adopted by the National Association of School Nursing November 2017).
School Health Services include:
- State mandated screenings (i.e. vision, hearing, scoliosis)
- Emergency care and first aid
- Special medical procedures (G-tube feeding, asthma management, diabetes care, etc.)
- Health maintenance/health counseling
- Physician and community resource referral.